Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  04:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I submitted a review and it came back to me with an "I don't understand" reason. Now dont get me wrong. I am not here to complain or stir up the pot. But I sometimes wonder if the MERPS can grasp our concepts. ITs such a n easy review and if you saw the movie you would understand what I meant. ITs a popular Movie too. The review could stand along and you would probably know what movie it was for, if you actually saw the movie. I bet everyone here as at least seen the movie once. Ill give the review and see if you can name the movie. If noone can actually guess right then it will be my understanding that this review is not understandable and I will retract the review. I wont even bother to give a reason. I shouldnt have to for this review. the review is:

"Memories taken at Liberty"

this has 2 meanings...

but I mean it. If at least 1 person cant think of the movie, I will retract it. I need an understanding. If I actually have to explainn it.....then I didnt do my job. But if it's because the Merp didnt actually see the movie....then I understand.

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  04:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is about "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", I think that it is too obscure.

Edited by - lemmycaution on 11/05/2007 05:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Kimberleys, Western Australia

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first thought was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Memories because the film is structured around flashback
'taken at liberty' because what one character thinks happened is not the full truth
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh, Planet of the Apes. The first one.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

If it is about "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", I think that it is too obscure.
I can't see how it could be about Liberty Valance. How are memories taken?

Well I'm stumped anyway. I either haven't seen the film, or have forgotten it. I'm curious to hear what the movie is. I'm guessing it's about either a character named Liberty or the statue of Liberty, and memories.
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the MERPS haven't seen the movie or sometimes I've seen reviews on the site that have referenced such a small obscure part of the movie, I'm amazed anyone could remember it. This could be one of those two instances. Unless I'm right. Then the liberty part isn't obscure.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Kimberleys, Western Australia

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tori

Sometimes the MERPS haven't seen the movie or sometimes I've seen reviews on the site that have referenced such a small obscure part of the movie, I'm amazed anyone could remember it. This could be one of those two instances. Unless I'm right. Then the liberty part isn't obscure.

Ah - as in the Statue of Liberty? I get you.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They call me Bruce?
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

They call me Bruce?

Whaaaat is that?
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tori

quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

They call me Bruce?

Whaaaat is that?

Bruce's grandpa has memories of going to American and talks about the green lady that welcomed him there.
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  08:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No idea Titanpa.

I haven't seen 'Man who shot Liberty Valence', so wouldn't know if that was it.

I have seen Planet of the Apes, but it was a long time ago and this doesn't immediately jump out at me.

Rather than assume a MERP has seen the film, consider whether they can figure it out quickly from the material available to them (I presume they have access to their own film knowledge, the Reviews page for the film and to imdb. Not sure whether they possess any other magic tricks). That's the thought process I use when deciding whether to submit an explanation with a review

Edited by - bife on 11/05/2007 08:50:01
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  09:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Men in Black II?
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  09:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Yes, I do think you are right, and yes Titanpa, if I saw this review against this film I would have understood it.

However, I wouldn't assume all the MERPs have seen MIB II, or that they were particularly into the genre and would remeber all the details even if they had. A quick play around on imdb didn't bring up any refernces to Liberty (admittedly I only spent a couple of minutes looking, but I am guessing MERPS dont spend more than a couple of minutes per review or nothing would ever get processed)

Edited by - bife on 11/05/2007 09:40:17
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  11:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

I've seen MIB2 but don't remember that bit (I don't have the world's best memory though, somebody took my memory at liberty ). But if Tommy lee Jones? gets his memory back (or deleted?) at the Statue of Liberty? or some other place named 'Liberty' or something, then it seems fine.

It should be a simple case of resubbing with explanation. I doubt MERPs (they aren't superhuman, are they?) will remember every detail in every movie they've seen so would presumably need the occasional bit of info to point out details unknown to them (through unfamiliarity or forgetting).
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  14:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am not familiar with the expression "taken at liberty". Is it just an Americanism, and what does it mean exactly?

Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  14:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When people say they are at liberty to do something, it means they are free to do it. I'm never seen it quite used the way TitanPa seems to be using it... I think he means it to mean "at will." I'm not certain that's the right way to use it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000