Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, "at liberty" to do something means you can do it if you want to - even on this side of our little pond - but "taken at liberty" is not used here, as far as I know.

Of course, if its not regarded as a proper expression in North American either, then its not much of a review, is it?

Edited by - Whippersnapper. on 11/05/2007 15:11:46
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You never heard the Expression. "I have taken the Liberty....." or "I am not at Liberty to discuss....." or "I am at Liberty to show...."????????

Ok. So its really an American Expression then. I didnt realize this. I am surprised that others movies came to mind other than the movie that I was suggesting it for. But the movie was actually mentioned. And one person can't even remember the ending of the movie.

It is For MIB II

At the end of the movie the spaceship is blown up above the Statue of Liberty and all of NY and NJ witness it. TO erase everyones minds it is shown that in the torch that Liberty is holding a Huge Light is flased to make everyones minds erased.

So here is the question then. Is this review to obscure? Is the expression "at Liberty" not recognized or used wrong?? This is more confusing than earlier thought.

Edited by - TitanPa on 11/05/2007 15:30:46
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No, the problem I have is not with "taken the liberty" or "at liberty" - it is with the expression "taken at liberty".

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Whippersnapper

No, the problem I have is not with "taken the liberty" or "at liberty" - it is with the expression "taken at liberty".

But I do have the expression "At Liberty"

"Memories taken, at Liberty"

If I put the comma there......is it understood more???
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

quote:

My considered answer to that question is "maybe".

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  16:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

My considered answer to that question is "maybe".

anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  18:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You said if there was one person who didn't guess the movie you'd retract it. So did you? :)

Now that I know what it's for, I think it's an okay review. It isn't as obvious as you thought but it's applicable.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  22:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone actually thought of it. I said if noone could name it, Id retract it. I just might add the comma. IF it's in the best interest of the review.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  23:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's fine as "Memories taken at Liberty". It's a simple statement of fact, i.e., peoples memories were taken from them at the Statue of Liberty.

I vaguely recall the ending now that you mention it. Memories are funny things, I totally forgot that ending, but I remember the dog barking out the chorus for "Who let the dogs out?" when he heard it on the car radio:-

Radio:- "Who let the dogs out?"
Dog:- "Woof woof! Woof!"

as it totally cracked me up. I remember that scene as if I saw it yesterday.

So, I think the review is 100% OK the way you wrote it, and you should resubmit with explanation.

I've learned to not make assumptions as to what other people 'ought' to remember in movies. For example, I recall much more of MIB than I recall from MIB2, probably as it's a better movie. But I recall the best scene from MIB2 (the Woof! Woof! scene), but was obviously underawed by the ending and didn't believe it was worth remembering. Note from the Spiderman 3 thread that foxy has already forgotten the ending the day after seeing it, perhaps as it also wasn't worth remembering.
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  01:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If at least 1 person cant think of the movie, I will retract it.

quote:
Originally posted by Tori

You said if there was one person who didn't guess the movie you'd retract it. So did you? :)

quote:

Someone actually thought of it. I said if noone could name it, Id retract it.

Now I hate to go all salopian on you Titanpa, but I do think Tori is right

Don't worry, we're both just kidding you. Neither of us will make you keep your word

Edited by - bife on 12/05/2007 02:17:27
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Kimberleys, Western Australia

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  04:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Someone actually thought of it. I said if noone could name it, Id retract it. I just might add the comma. IF it's in the best interest of the review.

With the explanation for MiBII I would vote for this - but that's because I am understanding 'taken at liberty' the way TitanPa is. If I saw the review against the film, I would immediately understand the double meaning, with Liberty also refering to the statue as the location of the memories being taken. I think the phrase 'taken at liberty' works here because the dudes in black don't ask people if they can erase their memories, they just take them, well, at liberty!

In isolation from the film it was for, I tried to make it fit another film that had memories and Liberty in common. Very badly, I might add because the 'taken at Liberty' phrase doesn't work for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Does not being able to identify the film straightaway make it invalid as a fwfr because the film isn't immediately obvious from the review? - imho I don't think so. One of the 'criteria' (for want of a better word) that Benj has in his guidelines for reviews is that it can work with the What Film stream. The film for this review does not immediately jump out - BUT there are many other reviews for films that you can't possibly get unless you've seen it or know plot details or character's names really well.

I may be a lone voice, but I can see why TitanPa is fighting for this one

Edited by - Shiv on 12/05/2007 04:53:25
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  05:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shiv

[quote]I may be a lone voice, but I can see why TitanPa is fighting for this one

I don't think a single person so far has questioned the validity of the review.

But Titanpa's approach here is all wrong, and it is unneccessary

Titanpa has had a review declined once, with a decline reason of 'Dont understand', which doesn't mean the review is no good, it means the MERP doesn't understand it, presumably in this case because they hadn't seen the film.

As noted in a post above I played around on imdb on Titanpa's behalf and I can confirm that if you had not seen the film, then imdb would not have helped you to 'get' this review. Not sure what else a MERP has to go on other than imdb and their own knowledge.

The correct response from Titanpa was simple - resubmit the review with an explanation so that the MERPs do 'get' the review, it would for 100% certainty have been approved on appeal, there is no valid decline reason possible except for the 'Dont understand' when there was no explanation.

The wrong response was yet another thread berating the MERPs for their general incompetence and wondering aloud "if the MERPS can grasp our concepts"

This whole thread was pointless, and Titanpa was clearly wrong in his assertion that the review was so simple that the MERPs would have to be braindead not to get it.

Now, having said all that, and knowing that it is a valid review that probably will be approved on appeal, what is Titanpa going to do? "Fight for it", as Shiv suggests, or hold to his word and delete it, as he said he would at the beginging of the thread, 'if at least 1 person cant think of the movie, I will retract it.'

What a moral dilemma
Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  06:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

quote:
Originally posted by Tori

quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

They call me Bruce?

Whaaaat is that?

Bruce's grandpa has memories of going to American and talks about the green lady that welcomed him there.

I loved that movie.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  06:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems I type with a way of sounding harsh. As I said it wasnt to berate the MERPS. It wasnt to whine or complain or to fight for a review. I just wante dto see if anyone else could grasp my concept...IF it wasnt just a MERP problem. I didnt know if "Taken at Liberty" was used right or if it was a recognized saying. I realized I said I would retract it if Not one person could name the movie. What I meant to say was I would retract it if Nobody could name the movie. I guess I worded it wrong. Everyday I see peopel questioning MERP and reviews. Im just trying to get things right...while other people just want to bash review pushers for not accepting their reviews. Yet I am getting a lecture. I only asked if they could grasp my concept. I didnt Say anything about them being Stupid or anything. I am sorry if I come off sounding harsh. Just getting a perspective. I understand your just sticking up for the MERPs. But my intention wasnt to stick it to the MERPS or to piss anyone off. Im sorry if I came of in a bad light. Sometimes ya make me out to still be a newbie. Next time i have a question...Ill leave the Merps out of it, I'll make the title dull, and Ill ask it point blank.
Go to Top of Page

Shiv 
"What a Wonderful World"

Kimberleys, Western Australia

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  06:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It seems I type with a way of sounding harsh. As I said it wasnt to berate the MERPS. It wasnt to whine or complain or to fight for a review. I just wante dto see if anyone else could grasp my concept...IF it wasnt just a MERP problem. I didnt know if "Taken at Liberty" was used right or if it was a recognized saying. I realized I said I would retract it if Not one person could name the movie. What I meant to say was I would retract it if Nobody could name the movie. I guess I worded it wrong. Everyday I see peopel questioning MERP and reviews. Im just trying to get things right...while other people just want to bash review pushers for not accepting their reviews. Yet I am getting a lecture. I only asked if they could grasp my concept. I didnt Say anything about them being Stupid or anything. I am sorry if I come off sounding harsh. Just getting a perspective. I understand your just sticking up for the MERPs. But my intention wasnt to stick it to the MERPS or to piss anyone off. Im sorry if I came of in a bad light. Sometimes ya make me out to still be a newbie. Next time i have a question...Ill leave the Merps out of it, I'll make the title dull, and Ill ask it point blank.

This is the spirit in which I posted my support of TitanPa's review. If the word 'fight' is the problem, it was merely to say that I actually do get the review - this is the answer I saw TitanPa as 'fighting' to get. I didn't take it at all that he thought the MERPs were wrong, and neither d o I think they or anyone else is 'wrong'. I just said I would vote for it - because I get it.

As I have posted several times - I get a lot of discussions of reviews because I learn how to do them better. I didn't think the discussion on this thread was negative, and I'm sorry if the wording of mine came across as inviting negativity.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000