Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 24/04/2007 :  19:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went on to see the top reviews of the day the other day and I saw a review that was very familiar to me. I then went to the movie and saw that it was almost the very same review as mine. I tried to use my report button but it weas not working. I then looked to the left of the review and there behold stood an EXACT same review as mine. Excuse me MERPS???? Just a few lines down is my review. These 2 reviews are written by 2 different people And if thats not bad enough, they have votes!!!! Is it me or am I the person for insperation around here???? Or is it that my reviews are being copied?? I can think of alot better people to copy than myself. What movie is it???

Superman

"Kent's highs and Lois." - chazbo

6 lines down

"Flying high and Lois." - Titanpa

"L.L.: Cool J(ournalist)." - Ali

5 lines down

"L.L. Cool J.ournalist." - TitanPa

Certainly you need a much better system if you can't see these reviews on the same page. Some help Benj. I was gfoing to report this. But my button may still not be working and this is too much of a coincidence not to be spoken about!!

Edited by - TitanPa on 25/04/2007 18:23:45

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 24/04/2007 :  19:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to report them for you, but when I hit "submit," nothing happens.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 24/04/2007 :  20:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

I tried to report them for you, but when I hit "submit," nothing happens.

Thanx DT. But This needs to be more than reported. I would have left it alone if it was the 1....but 2?
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/04/2007 :  23:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will sort this out now.

Regarding your later point, I'm not sure what sort of system could realistically allow MERPs to process hundreds of new reviews yet also see all the other reviews against each film. It's really not all that viable and, before anyone asks, it's also a lot harder than you might think to programmatically look for similar reviews
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  00:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what you're suggesting titanpa. 'Copies' that close occur regularly, not sure how you could stop it at source.

It has happened to me probably 100 times, most often when I find that somebody has come too close to one of my reviews, but plenty enough times the other way around. In the case of reviews too close to my own, I usually find a discreet PM to the other reviewer works fine, rather than posting on a public forum that they might be copying me.

Let's be honest, the reviews are relatively 'obvious' puns, and it is quite likely that somebody else came up with the same ideas independently.

I don't believe Chazbo or Ali deliberately copied your reviews, and if I were them reading this I might feel just a little aggrieved that you were suggesting it.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  01:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Unless you have firm evidence to the contrary, these are examples of coincidence and its quite wrong to question the integrity of other fwfrs without that evidence.

For some heavily reviewed films its quite hard to check through all the other reviews which have been written, although possibly a little more effort to do this would help avoid such duplicates.

I would like to be advised when a review I am submitting has been used for another film. There are some reviews where a phrase is manipulated and then a film is found to peg it to. In those cases I not want to submit the same review to a different film unless the sense was sufficiently different.

I have already PMed Banj about this but, as I am still waiting for an answer, or would be if I still held out any hope of getting an answer, can I ask here whether we could have this feature installed in order to avoid unwanted duplicates to different films?

(I know you can google, but firstly it would be much better if it were done in site and secondly google doesn't find all examples for some reason.)

Incidentally, for those people who have trouble with some buttons working (e.g. report or submit) try using another browser. For me Firefox gives some problems but Slimbrowser and Opera don't.

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  03:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

I don't believe Chazbo or Ali deliberately copied your reviews, and if I were them reading this I might feel just a little aggrieved that you were suggesting it.

I wasnt suggesting that they actually copied my reviews. But it was a freak coincidence that it was for the same movie and on the same page.

I wasnt trying to out them. I was just trying to point it out. Sure I have done it a few times. You think you made it but you had probably read it before and forgot about it. But really. This is more about looking thru the reviews before it passes. It would be one thing if you had to dig a few pages...but it was on the same page...a few rows down.

Edited by - TitanPa on 25/04/2007 03:23:50
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  09:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the thread should have been called 'Carbon Copies', or indeed created separately from the duplicate reviews thread at all.

Edited by - SixFourian on 25/04/2007 17:11:18
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  09:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Whippersnapper

I have already PMed Banj about this but, as I am still waiting for an answer, or would be if I still held out any hope of getting an answer

I'm sorry I haven't immediately replied on this but, alongside the usual stuff, I've been somewhat preoccupied with organising my wedding...
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  11:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only found out about the obvious similarity this morning once benj rejected my review. I am not that bothered whether anyone believes it or not, but, for the record, I did not copy TitanPa's review. Also, after scouring the reviews on any given film, I have recently started googling "my upcoming review in question and four word film review," to see if the review is a duplicate. I usually discard a review in case a pun I'd come up with had been used by someone else on another film. Obviously, this one slipped through.

And I don't think TitanPa's original post, with sentences such as "this is too much of a coincidence not to be spoken about," or "Is it me or am I the person for insperation[sic] around here????," or even "Or is it that my reviews are being copied??" was as neutral as it could have been.

That said, I am not bothered about crap like this. Which is why I didn't bitch about a particularly popular review from last week that mirrored a review of mine word for word for word.

Anyway, sorry for the hassle, and I will try and be more careful in the future.

Edited by - Ali on 25/04/2007 12:01:26
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  11:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

I have already PMed Banj about this but, as I am still waiting for an answer, or would be if I still held out any hope of getting an answer

I'm sorry I haven't immediately replied on this but, alongside the usual stuff, I've been somewhat preoccupied with organising my wedding...

I can understand that, but a brief acknowledgment would only have taken a few seconds and would have been much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  12:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I can understand that, but a brief acknowledgment would only have taken a few seconds and would have been much appreciated.

Clearly you've never had to put up with a stressed out bride-to-be for months on end. Seriously, if I can make it through the next week and a half, the actual marriage will be a piece of piss in comparison. I seldom get longer than half an hour on my PC of late.

I should also add that I receive a lot of emails on a daily basis (presently, for example, I have a classful of film students asking me to look at their reviews for an assignment they need to complete soon) and I typically prioritise approving reviews over sending email receipts, impolite as that may be.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  12:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Clearly you've never had to put up with a stressed out bride-to-be for months on end.

This is true.

But, if you think that's stressful, wait till you're married.

(And thanks for your prompt response.)

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  12:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Clearly you've never had to put up with a stressed out bride-to-be for months on end.

This is true.

It gets worse???

Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  12:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

This is true.

It gets worse???

For some it does.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  13:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is true.

It gets worse???

For some it does.

And for others, its the most temporary thing you'll ever experience.

(I'm hoping for you it will be the latter.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000