New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  22:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has happened a few times over the years (and it's inevitable since we're all working at the same puns on the same material), but I thought I would point it out this time:

I went over to IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302011/) to see details on 'Kung Fu Panda 2' and saw their teaser poster, which features a very familiar summary: http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?do=mr&uid=4454&id=29878&Mode=&Sort=5&Rows=100&Dir=1&Start=1

So when do I expect the studio to send me a cheque?

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  01:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We may know a lawyer in L.A. who might take the case.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  11:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get either of them (though I am assuming that Skatoosh! means something) but while many of these cases are I'm sure coincidences, I don't think it's so very unlikely that some are not. People marketing a film will surely search the Internet to see what people are already saying about it, and so sometimes they are bound to find this site.
Go to Top of Page

AC 

Canada

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  13:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, 'Ska-doosh' or whatever it is is a phrase from the first film's climax (but that's not a spoiler because it was used in all the promo material) and so I used it slightly out of desperation because I had no other ideas for this one. That's why it's a pleasant surprise to find out I wasn't completely off track (even though it took me a while to convince the MERPS that it was relevant!). I recall we had this same discussion years ago with 'Poultry-Geist', right? The question about whether our reviews had been seen by marketing types is an interesting one!
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  19:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Dr. Canuck:

My office is feverishly interested in exploring the possibility of a copyright infringement claim on your behalf. While you are unlikely to obtain a significant amount of money for what appears to be a Lanham Act violation, you stand a good chance to feel considerable pride in seeing that justice prevails (through the handsomely rewarded efforts that my office will provide). You may become the pride of the industry, and the envy of your neighbors as the man who struck a very expensive blow for artistic rights integrity. I know that I, for one, would be extremely proud, and my daughter would be quite happy over this matter as well (as would my ex-wife, and a number of expressive dance practitioners who maintain very close business ties with my office in particular).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance in this vital matter.

Very truly yours,

MguyX, Esq.

Edited by - MguyX on 11/27/2010 08:19:03
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the chances of our being deliberately copied by marketing types is remote: ad people are every bit as glib as we are, and if one guy likes to troll the net to come up with his ideas, he really won't last long in his job, trust me: one day he'll need something fast and we won't be there for him!

In fairness, this site also features quite a few movie-poster lines masquerading as fwiffs.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  22:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randa11

I think the chances of our being deliberately copied by marketing types is remote... if one guy likes to troll the net to come up with his ideas, he really won't last long in his job

Marketing people searching the Internet for what people have been saying about an upcoming film does not equate to their doing so in order to copy ideas; however, when they come across a good idea by chance they may well decide to recycle it, or it may take enter their subconscious to resurface later.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  23:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

or it may take enter their subconscious to resurface later.

It may not even take enter anything.
Go to Top of Page

AC 

Canada

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  00:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr MguyX, Esq. -

I believe I would like to retain your services to bring Dreamworks/Paramount/United/Universal to their knees. Will you be able to arrange it so that all four studios must be renamed 'AussieCanuck Enterprises'? I would also expect a generous cash payout and an above-the-title credit, superseding Jack Black, of course. I trust you will guarantee me such success.

Best,
Dr A. Canuck

PS - of course, I am under little illusion I was 'plagiarised', I was mostly pleased that a line-ball review of mine wound up being considered good enough to be included in a marketing campaign, one almost certainly thought up in a California think-tank without any reference to FWFR. But it's nice to joke about it.

Of course, I will still be pressing ahead with my lawsuit.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  22:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Dr. Canuck:

First, please accept my apology for failing to acknowledge you properly in my former letter's salutation; I have fired the secretary responsible. The correction, in fact, has allayed a minor fear I had: the not insignificant retainer required for groundbreaking lawsuits such as the instant matter might prove daunting for most, but I am reassured and reminded, Dr. Canuck, that such ancillary concerns are not an issue for you.

While rules of professional responsibility proscribe the guaranteeing of success, my office is confident in the highly satisfactory outcome we will enjoy as a result of our efforts. Let me just say that bills will be paid, and funds will be made available for leisure of many sorts -- and very likely before the case has even concluded! That's how confident I am.

I look forward to a profitable outcome.

Very truly yours,

MguyX, Esq.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000