Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  19:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The A-Team

I hated the idea of this when I heard about it, and once I saw the version for Orange (in a new variation on a theme for them, spoofing the film using the same actors and in the same time period as it is out), I wondered what the film itself could offer, since it evidently wasn't going to be tongue in cheek like Starsky & Hutch.

Of the team, Murdoch is the only one not better looking than Face, which is rather bizarre. B.A.'s facial hair is very impressively sculpted (though not as much as mine ), but he doesn't have the sections of scalp hair paralleling the mohawk, so his sideburns are not attached to anything and consequently look stupid.

I didn't think helicopters could fly upside down, but I've looked it up and apparently some can now, so the film was unexpectedly educational!

The plot is of no interest, so there's no point talking about that.

I did though find the characters and camaraderie likeable and convincing, and was enjoying the experience (other than the family behind me who were much more disruptive than all the younger children in Shrek Forever After and Toy Story 3, which I had seen earlier that day). However, the scene in the psychiatric facility film room then came along. That and the following take-off scene was brilliantly entertaining enough, but then... The tank scene is just phenomenal. Totally unrealistic, but totally original and exhilarating. I didn't really care what happened after that.

4/5

Edited by - SixFourian on 31/07/2010 19:15:44

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  04:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i liked "The A-Team" a lot but don't think i would have in a vacuum -- not being familiar with the tv show, not being a fan of Rampage, not knowing it was a summer action film.
but knowing all that, i had a blast!

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  10:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was easily one of the shittest films I've seen this year. It felt like it had been written, directed and edited by an ADD teenager and was confused to the point of annoying. The tank scene was original, but stupid, and the constant smugness that surrounded the team about just how insane and brilliant they were was tedious in the extreme. The plot, for what it was, was paper thin so the action sequences didn't hang on it or have a modicum of excitement. The Gandhi stuff was hilarious in the wrong way- I'm quite sure he would have approved of B.A.'s violently killing the bad men because he was really a good man with a conscience. Basically it was purile and pointless in the manner of Michael Bay but without the sunsets and slo-mo masturbation about military hardware. The largely teenage audience I saw it with could barely stay in their seats and half of them kept wandering in and out and the other half talked and took the piss to entertain themselves. I don't blame them. A for Atrocious.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  16:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, it's possible my mind is fading but I've so far found 2010's blockbusters be a pretty good guilty pleasures. The A-Team surprised me by being one such film (along with The Karate Kid, The Expendables and hopefully the same with Piranha 3D tonight and Salt next week). And this despite being the whole thing being completely ridiculous and Liam Neeson hamming it up ten times worse than George Peppard ever did. (Seriously, just about every time Neeson spoke you could see some reference to loving it when a plan came together being telegraphed a mile off)

But yeah, I don't understand why but oddly this film did the trick
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  11:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you must be working too hard Benj.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBadIdea 
"PLZ GET MILK, KTHXBYE"

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  14:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I'm going with demonic on this one. I hated this movie so damn hard.

The characters were possibly the most obnoxious ever produced, but not nearly as obnoxious as the style of editing, which was to be expected from Joe "Smokin' Aces" Carnahan, who seems to be trying to be Michael Bay's brattier little brother.

Couldn't understand a thing what was going on during the action sequences. Hated the characters. The whole thing is just kind of incompetent -- one character starts acting like the main villain but the movie forgot to reveal that first. Awful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000