Page: of 2

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  13:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you visit mine, I will visit yours.

Conditions:
(1) It has to be your tenth highest 100 unless
(a) you have fewer than 1,000 reviews, in which case it can be your lowest 100, or
(b) you have fewer than 100 reviews, in which case it can be all of them.
(2) It has to be your actual tenth highest 100, not the tenth highest 100 unvoted by me.
(3) You may only post your own page.
(4) You have to visit every valid link posted.
(5) You may not post just to say that you have viewed and/or voted (that can be taken as read). If you still really, really, really feel the need to prove that you have visited a page (or you just want to for interest's sake), you are welcome to highlight specific reviews.

Edited by - SixFourian on 20/02/2010 20:51:42

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  14:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemmycaution's tenth best.

I swear to abide by the rules, regulations, and bylaws of the FWFR Fourum �Tenth Best� thread.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  16:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten-four
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  17:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what lemmy said!
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  23:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thefoxboy's tenth.

What he said, she said.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  23:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

I swear to abide by the rules, regulations, and bylaws of the FWFR Fourum �Tenth Best� thread.

In case anyone wonders why I hate V&V posts so much, it's for both sides of the same coin. On one side, I always read new posts in affected threads, and it's just a waste of a few seconds many, many times. On the other side, I strongly suspect that some later entrants to such rounds miss out on visitors, not because people are away from the computer on later days but because after a certain point they just assume that new posts don't have any content. (I also don't like the fact that they originated in lack of trust.)

Edited by - SixFourian on 30/09/2008 23:26:09
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never post V&V unless I have in fact V'd & V'd. However, I don't always post a V&V when I have done the V&V. Sometimes, especially in FYCTH, I post V&V in the midst of actually V&Ving. This happens when I've waited until the last second to V&V, and so I'm busy opening a whole plethora of FYC pages in order to facilitate my V&V session and just post V&V when I open up the last pages. But I never don't V&V.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  00:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartlivie

I never post V&V unless I have in fact V'd & V'd. However, I don't always post a V&V when I have done the V&V. Sometimes, especially in FYCTH, I post V&V in the midst of actually V&Ving. This happens when I've waited until the last second to V&V, and so I'm busy opening a whole plethora of FYC pages in order to facilitate my V&V session and just post V&V when I open up the last pages. But I never don't V&V.

Quite.

I take for granted that no one posts V&V unless it is true. I also take for granted that everyone does visit all the links they are supposed to. (People may occasionally forget, but that's fine.) Shouldn't everyone trust this? Is there anyone who actually needs to see V&V posts? I honestly think their main effect is to lose some late entrants votes. The reason for this is a general impression that late entries garner fewer votes (in so far as it is possible to gauge equivalent quality across one's own reviews) and the more objective evidence that direct, perfectly uncontroversial questions sometimes go unanswered if they are posed later on.

You'll never see a V&V post from me and you'll never see a valid link I don't visit in a thread that I participate in.

Edited by - SixFourian on 01/10/2008 00:08:26
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  03:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think of it as a sort of courtesy, I've said 'please' in my entry post, so I say thank you in my last - it's a sort of summation. As I usually only vote in FYC last thing on the change-over day and not at the start (exactly to avoid late entrants) I don't think of it as a hardship if I've read 20+ pages of reviews to take a couple of seconds to say I've finished.

I suspect some people don't like to V&V because it can fairly reliably identify who is being generous and who is being stingy in their voting, and fear that might unfairly reflect on the votes they receieve in return.

I accept that you hate it Sal, but I'll still V&V this page when I'm done, regardless of Rule 5. Sorry if it takes up some of your seconds.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  09:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Salopian.

Window number ten, please

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  11:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

I accept that you hate it Sal, but I'll still V&V this page when I'm done, regardless of Rule 5. Sorry if it takes up some of your seconds.

It is not such a problem in this thread (although I use this thread to campaign against it since it is mine) -- it is in the F.Y.C.T.H. where it is a big problem. Honestly, I am really pretty sure that some people do not read the thread towards the end, not because they are shirking but because they genuinely assume that posts in the last day or two are only V&V and thus don't need reading. Posts with content, be they queries, praise or (most seriously) entries, then become overlooked as a result. My pointlessly clicking on the thread again and again (even though on an iPhone it's a lot more hassle than on a computer) is a secondary irritation in comparison to that.

I cannot stop you from posting V&V, but I don't take it as a courtesy -- I take it to mean that you don't trust me to trust that you have viewed the pages, which I do.

Edited by - SixFourian on 01/10/2008 11:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  13:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

X marks the spot.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  15:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

It is not such a problem in this thread (although I use this thread to campaign against it since it is mine) -- it is in the F.Y.C.T.H. where it is a big problem. Honestly, I am really pretty sure that some people do not read the thread towards the end, not because they are shirking but because they genuinely assume that posts in the last day or two are only V&V and thus don't need reading. Posts with content, be they queries, praise or (most seriously) entries, then become overlooked as a result. My pointlessly clicking on the thread again and again (even though on an iPhone it's a lot more hassle than on a computer) is a secondary irritation in comparison to that.

If you're right it sounds like everyone should take the reading of FYC on the last day of voting more seriously - a late V&V post should actually be more not less an integral part of the process... in much the same way you can't really vote on 'Tasteless Obits' until the last day because entries can come in late.
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Little Rock

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  22:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply put not my best but they're here...
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  01:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

If you're right it sounds like everyone should take the reading of FYC on the last day of voting more seriously

I am sure they would if it weren't for all the pointless and distracting V&V posts!
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  10:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turrell

Simply put not my best but they're here...

Don't worry -- we're all getting into weaker territory now. There won't be as many votes going around as in early rounds, but hopefully we will all still find enough gems to make it a fun use of time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000