Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  14:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

(4) You cannot post just to say that you have viewed and/or voted, although you are welcome to highlight specific reviews.

Hhmmm, this doesn't seem to be going that well...
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  10:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at least I'm trying to follow your rules!
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Well, at least I'm trying to follow your rules!

Don't worry - that hadn't gone unnoticed. (Ditto for Randall/lemmy/Josh/Ali/redPen/RockGolf.)

Edited by - Salopian on 10/24/2007 13:55:53
Go to Top of Page

Canklefish 
"Let's Get OUTTA Here!"

United States

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  00:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I also observed the rules relatively well... didn't just post, but also viewed your post, as well as all others. Did I do something wrong?

Hope to learn the ways of the Fourum...
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  00:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd like to argue the rules of the thread, site or house and do what I like.

Edited by - thefoxboy on 10/25/2007 00:45:15
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CankleFetish

I thought I also observed the rules relatively well... didn't just post, but also viewed your post, as well as all others. Did I do something wrong?

LOL, I didn't mean that you shouldn't just say that you have viewed (but fail to have done so) - I meant that you shouldn't say that you have viewed unless it is inferred via a more interesting comment! I just hate "V&V"-type posts. They came from a period in the F.Y.C.T.H. (when I wasn't participating) when people for some reason concluded that some people were not bothering to visit others' pages. As well as wasting time (i.e. by making one think there is a new post worth reading in a thread), therefore, they equate to a lack of trust. It's a bit different here where there is no obligation to view pages other than mine, but I still don't like it.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

Well, I'd like to argue the rules of the thread, site or house and do what I like.

You certainly can post whatever you like in any thread. That is why I called it a condition, not a rule - a condition of my visiting your page. I may still visit everyone this time, but I'll be more explicit next time.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  09:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Faves:

Salopian--After Stonewall (both)

Thanks. Was confused as I only have one for that, but I also have one for Before Stonewall, so I guess that was it.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  10:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You certainly can post whatever you like in any thread. That is why I called it a condition, not a rule - a condition of my visiting your page. I may still visit everyone this time, but I'll be more explicit next time.

Good for you.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Faves:

Salopian--After Stonewall (both)

Thanks. Was confused as I only have one for that, but I also have one for Before Stonewall, so I guess that was it.

That's it. I was working from memory, and it was only the 'Stonewall' that registered. They are both good, however!
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Good for you.

And good for you too.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  12:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are both good, however!

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rovark 
"Luck-pushing, rule-bending, chance-taking reviewer"

UK

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  17:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

here where there is no obligation to view pages other than mine,

Aaah,

I presumed there was an implicit obligation to visit everyone who joined in and therefore it was only good manners to let everyone else know that you have done so.

If we only visit yours, then the thread becomes an exercise in selfishness. For instance, if there are 10 participants, including me, then the only person visiting me would be you. That's a maximum of 100votes for my reviews. You however will have all 10 of us visiting you. Realistically that's a minimum of a 100 or so votes ( at only 10 votes per reviewer) and a maximum of 1000votes. It just becomes a thread to push Salopian up the Total/Average Votes Tables.

If there's no spreading the love between all participants, then this was the last "best" thread I'll be part of.
Go to Top of Page

Canklefish 
"Let's Get OUTTA Here!"

United States

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  03:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rovark

quote:

Aaah,

I presumed there was an implicit obligation to visit everyone who joined in and therefore it was only good manners to let everyone else know that you have done so.

If we only visit yours, then the thread becomes an exercise in selfishness. For instance, if there are 10 participants, including me, then the only person visiting me would be you. That's a maximum of 100votes for my reviews. You however will have all 10 of us visiting you. Realistically that's a minimum of a 100 or so votes ( at only 10 votes per reviewer) and a maximum of 1000votes. It just becomes a thread to push Salopian up the Total/Average Votes Tables.

If there's no spreading the love between all participants, then this was the last "best" thread I'll be part of.

I love these particular posts, 'cuz it gives me a chance to view the other submitters, while knowing that they will also view whatever I have to offer. The FYC posts only give a glimpse into 5 particular posts from any one reviewer.... anyway, I agree with what Rovark had to say, but I would add this... most of the people who enjoyed this particular thread adhered to the standards by which it was set... we viewed everybody's posts, not making it about solely bumping a particular reviewer up the FWFR ladder. At least that's what I got from the experience...
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  13:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rovark

quote:

Aaah,

Your post isn't really in disagreement with mine. There is indeed the implicit assumption that everyone will visit everyone. It's just that I have never imposed that as a condition - it is up to the individual (although in practice I don't doubt that everyone will visit everyone). The fact that it is assumed, though, actually contradicts the need to say that one has done it. If people really want to write down a list of people's usernames, they can readily get around it as some have done by listing favourite reviews. I don't mind people doing that since it is actually interesting.

What do people think - shall I just add an everyone-has-to-visit-everyone condition next time?

Edited by - Salopian on 10/26/2007 13:29:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000