New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  08:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is to get a point of clarification about how to construct reviews which I can't find in any of the FAQs ... I'd be really grateful for some advice.

Here's the thing:
I submitted a review for this 1956 film

It has only three FWFRs which are:
"Puss launches special K." by Randall

"Devious Thatcher destroys society." by Rovark

and

"Podest� launches many ships." by lemmycaution

This was the review I submitted back in June:
"Jack to Helen. Back."

Today it was rejected without explanation, so I double-checked all the obvious things, including that I had the correct film. [you know how old people get things wrong! ]

Here's a quote from the imdb plot summary:
"In this version, Prince Paris of Troy, shipwrecked on a mission to the king of Sparta, meets and falls for Queen Helen before he knows who she is. Rudely received by the royal Greeks, he must flee...but fate and their mutual passions lead him to take Helen along."

That's what inspired me to the review in the first place.

So I checked I'd got the right bloke playing Paris, and
HERE COMES THE POINT OF THIS POST
this is how the cast list reads:

"Jacques Sernas ... Paris (as Jack Sernas)"

That means he was credited in the title roll as Jack. Which is why I used the word in my review and not the word Jacques.

Because I can't think of any other reason why my review was rejected today, I'm guessing using the credited name as opposed to the actor's normally used name was the reason.

So, is there a ruling on this, as there is about film titles? I think benj has set up the db program to use UK release titles? but I may have that wrong. But there seems to be no ruling on the credit titles.

Before I re-submit my review for this film, I'm hoping someone can help.

TIA

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  09:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I've tried to get reviews submitted with the "helen back" pun, but I think almost every one of them were rejected without explination. Perhaps they just don't like that pun?
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  09:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

That's so good!

quote:
"Jack to Helen. Back."

I don't think it's the name. It may be that it's not really clear what "Jack to Helen" is supposed to mean without an explanation. But does the review add anything to the site on top of LPH's anyway?

On names, my feeling is that either an actor's standard name or the one credited in the film should be valid. A non-standard form of their name should not be used for films for which they are not credited under that, though.

Edited by - Salopian on 08/24/2007 10:04:54
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  09:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure whether it is a legitiamte decline reason, but LPH has a Top 100 review for Troy 'To Helen back'.

Maybe your review was considered as too close, given the review's Top 100 status, even though it was for a different movie.

Just speculating, have never heard of 'dupe' declines across films before, but personally I could see it as a valid reason

I also seem to remember benj mentioning once or twice that he doesn't like reviews that cross character names (here Helen) with actor names (here Jack) unless the juxtaposition adds something to the review. Again, never formally heard of this being a decline reason.

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:

That's so good!

quote:
"Jack to Helen. Back."

I don't think it's the name. It may be that it's not really clear what "Jack to Helen" is supposed to mean without an explanation. But does the review add anything to the site on top of Stalean's anyway?

On names, my feeling is that either an actor's standard name or the one credited in the film should be valid. A non-standard form of their name should not be used for films for which they are not credited under that, though.

Uhm ... StaLean doesn't have a review for that film ... what do you mean?

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:

That's so good!

quote:
"Jack to Helen. Back."

I don't think it's the name. It may be that it's not really clear what "Jack to Helen" is supposed to mean without an explanation. But does the review add anything to the site on top of Stalean's anyway?

Uhm ... StaLean doesn't have a review for that film ... what do you mean?

I thought LPH's review was by Stalean. N.B. The L is no longer capitalised.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

I am not sure whether it is a legitiamte decline reason, but LPH has a Top 100 review for Troy 'To Helen back'.

Maybe your review was considered as too close, given the review's Top 100 status, even though it was for a different movie.

Oh, I didn't know that ... I was only looking at the 1956 film. But even so, there are plenty of examples here of what you're implying. I came up with this independently. Anyway, I thought "similar to another review" is a 'decline' category, and no explanation was given for my rejection. Which is why I thought it must be the actor's name.
quote:

Just speculating, have never heard of 'dupe' declines across films before, but personally I could see it as a valid reason

I thought this whole 'similar' decline thing was relaxed when benj made his new rulings at the time he set the 20 weekly submission cap.
quote:

I also seem to remember benj mentioning once or twice that he doesn't like reviews that cross character names (here Helen) with actor names (here Jack) unless the juxtaposition adds something to the review. Again, never formally heard of this being a decline reason.

Again, there are plenty of examples of this on the site. I've even seen mixes of one character or actor with another character from a completely different film. My own choice to mix was to get the rhyme of Jack and Back.

Ah, well .. thanks anyway. Of course, I'll accept whatever the decision ... but even for someone like me who's been on the site for nearly 1� years, if stuff like this isn't clarified, surely we're going to have confusion. Though, I must admit, I've never before submitted a review where a main character is credited with a name other than their usual one.

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

You know, I've tried to get reviews submitted with the "helen back" pun, but I think almost every one of them were rejected without explination. Perhaps they just don't like that pun?

Uhm ... maybe not, but I don't think that's a reason for declining it.

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  12:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, please ... isn't there someone out there who might actually know the ruling on cast name versus real name?

I'm really asking for the benefit of everyone ... it doesn't seem to be something we should have to guess.

Let's just forget about me and my review. As a hypothetical ... what's the correct path to take?

Please.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  12:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that I've mixed cast names with character names in several reviews. So it can't be that.

Of course, perhaps the MERPs don't know that he was billed as "Jack".

(With all the Jane Eyre movies out there I didn't have much of a choice but to mix cast names with characters - while trying to get Sal's Bronte accolade.)
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  13:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, please ... isn't there someone out there who might actually know the ruling on cast name versus real name?

I'm pretty sure that it's acceptable to use the form of a name under which someone is credited for the film.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000