Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to my fwfr
Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Reviews
 BaffledBaftaBabe needs help. This means you.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  18:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In light of recent posts - no names, no packdrill - I'm completely baffled by these half-dozen rejections. I spent precious time on all of them. I don't believe any is boring or irrelevant, they all comply with 4 words, non-generic, accurate, and aren't duplicating anyone else's review.

Your collective experience, expertise, and generous spirit are welcome in the interests of helping me improve. TIA.

1] 12 Angry Men = Fonda sides with patricide.
A patricide is someone accused of patricide. The defendent in the film is accused of being a patricide. Jury forman Fonda refuses to condemn him out of hand. It is the pivotal point of the film.

2] Bridget Jones's Diary = Bridget Grants Darcy's wish.
Okay, it ain't Shakespeare but it's a wordplay on main character/star names that logically recounts an important, even seminal aspect of the film.

3] Fried Green Tomatoes = Ninny Thread[s]goode stories.
Ninny Threadgoode is the narrator of the stories threaded together to enliven the narrative.

4] Nothing To Lose = Steve LOSEs Oedekerk plot.
Again, not the greatest wordplay in the Hubble universe, but it's uniquely relevant to the film, written and directed by Oedekerk, who didn't contribute any other film with the word LOSE in its title.

5] The Thing From Another World = 'Matt Dillon' on ice.
I don't normally refer to characters in one film using their character roles from another, but I did here because James Arness's performance starring as Marshall Matt Dillon held the US in thrall back in the 1950s. In the film, The Thing is discovered encased in a block of ice by the scientists who later regret reviving him. The pun, of course, refers to the Dillon character being "held over" to the film. Held over, as is "on ice."

6] The Hobbit = Bilbo's ring shapes trilogy.
Even Tolkein is on record as saying that it was Bilbo's first journey in the Hobbit which engendered the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There's a small wordplay with ring and shape.

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Canada

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  19:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe
A patricide is someone accused of patricide. The defendent in the film is accused of being a patricide. Jury forman Fonda refuses to condemn him out of hand. It is the pivotal point of the film.

But since they basically determined that the accused was innocent, he really wasn't a patricide was he? A patricide is someone who murders their father, not just someone accused of it.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  19:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R o � k G o 1 f

quote:

But since they basically determined that the accused was innocent, he really wasn't a patricide was he? A patricide is someone who murders their father, not just someone accused of it.

Thanks, R o � k G o 1 f ...
Yes, BUT the entire film is about Fonda persuading the eleven who BELIEVE or almost believe he's a patricide. It's only at the end he's found innocent. So the review relates to the majority of the action of the film; it also I hope makes the reader consider something of the nature of guilt and innocence in the way the film does. Asking a lot for four words, I know. But I can't understand the rigidity of the decline.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  19:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In light of recent posts - no names, no packdrill - I'm completely baffled by these half-dozen rejections. I spent precious time on all of them. I don't believe any is boring or irrelevant, they all comply with 4 words, non-generic, accurate, and aren't duplicating anyone else's review.

Your collective experience, expertise, and generous spirit are welcome in the interests of helping me improve. TIA.

Patricide is killing one's father, and somehow I doubt that Fonda sides with that. And technically, the accused isn't a patricide until after he's been convicted. So, since they don't convict him, he isn't a patricide.
quote:

Okay, it ain't Shakespeare but it's a wordplay on main character/star names that logically recounts an important, even seminal aspect of the film.

While you're right about having all the actors/characters, I'm having a hard time with the placement of "Grant" in this one, and I'm not sure what wish you're referring to - unless you mean Firth giving Grant a good beating. Good idea, but I think it needs more thought.

quote:

Ninny Threadgoode is the narrator of the stories threaded together to enliven the narrative.

Now, this one I love. But perhaps you can adjust it a bit to be more acceptable with a space after the [s]? Just a thought. I'd vote for it either way. Did you explain this to the MERPs?

quote:

Again, not the greatest wordplay in the Hubble universe, but it's uniquely relevant to the film, written and directed by Oedekerk, who didn't contribute any other film with the word LOSE in its title.

I don't normally refer to characters in one film using their character roles from another, but I did here because James Arness's performance starring as Marshall Matt Dillon held the US in thrall back in the 1950s. In the film, The Thing is discovered encased in a block of ice by the scientists who later regret reviving him. The pun, of course, refers to the Dillon character being "held over" to the film. Held over, as is "on ice."

Even Tolkein is on record as saying that it was Bilbo's first journey in the Hobbit which engendered the Lord of the Rings trilogy. There's a small wordplay with ring and shape.

Can't help you with any of these - don't know the films and don't really get the reviews.

Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1- THE GUY DIDN'T COMMIT PATRICIDE.

2- WHICH WISH?

3- FIRST, THAT ISN'T THE CHARACTER'S NAME

SORRY FOR BEING SHORT BUT I'M USING ONE HAND AND YHE BABY TURNED ON CAPS
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE HOBBIT ONE- EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE BASED ON THE SAME SET OF STORIES, THE TWO FILMS (TRILOGY ANFD HOBBIT) don't have anything to do with each other
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BB, IMHO, #1 doesn't work at all. Fonda spends the entire picture trying to cast a reasonable doubt about the patricide. He doesn't "side" with it at all. If it were up to me, declined.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to be irritatingly picky, Fonda is not the foreman of the jury.

Told you it was irritating, didn't I?

As to whether or not the kid was a patricide we'll never know. It's not correct though to say he was not a patricide because he was not found guilty. He either was or wasn't depending on whether he did or didn't.

Maybe if you put patricide in inverted commas it might be accepted?

Give it a bash, Baff!

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
from Chocolate Lady
Now, this one I love. But perhaps you can adjust it a bit to be more acceptable with a space after the [s]? Just a thought. I'd vote for it either way. Did you explain this to the MERPs?

Thanks CL. Yes, I did explain. If I put the space I think the M's would shoot it down 'cause goode ain't a word on its own.

But re: 12 Angry Men ... I'll retire it gracefully since no one else seems to get what I mean. Funny though how some people are ready to accept certain women characters as slags, cunts and whores when all they've done is have a shag

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 06/07/2006 23:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Markandlain 
"Lacking in four sight"

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you retire #1, chucking a set of quotation marks around patricide may assist (slightly). Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Funny though how some people are ready to accept certain women characters as slags, cunts and whores when all they've done is have a shag

And a man is a stud.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  23:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tori

3- FIRST, THAT ISN'T THE CHARACTER'S NAME

SORRY FOR BEING SHORT BUT I'M USING ONE HAND AND YHE BABY TURNED ON CAPS

Hi Tori ... v. grateful for your input -- especially with a handful of baby!

Sorry, but yes Ninny Threadgoode IS the character played by Jessica Tandy who tells Evelyn the stories. Ref:
http://www.imdb.com/Find?select=Characters&for=Ninny%20Threadgoode

And, sorry 2, I just don't buy that The Hobbit has nothing to do with setting the groundwork for the trilogy ... it introduces the ring and its incumbent dangers as well as characters who take the story forward in the trilogy. It's a sort of prequel.

In BJ's Diary - yes, Bridget gets diverted by Grant, but Darcy does fancy her and they do get together so I believe the review works in its own small way.

Oh well ... still good to get some feedback

And, glad to see you're introducing the baby to FWFR in those formative years

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  23:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

quote:
Funny though how some people are ready to accept certain women characters as slags, cunts and whores when all they've done is have a shag

And a man is a stud.

Yeah, but not a patch on you, Foxy -- specially ridin dat hog!

Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  23:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really strange, when I looked it up on IMDB it said "Idgy" was her first name. Maybe one is a nickname.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  23:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tori

That's really strange, when I looked it up on IMDB it said "Idgy" was her first name. Maybe one is a nickname.

No, Idgy is the person that Ninny tells the stories about! Great names, though, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  23:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all understand this one, but think you're 100% incorrect. If you called the defendant a 'patricide' during or after the trial you'd be sued for libel. He's only a patricide if he actually did it or was found by the court to have done it.

Might be OK, but I don't recall what wish it was that was granted.

This style is becoming more prevalent, but IMO some people are perhaps pushing their luck. Would a newspaper allow you to use this as a headline for an article? You are essentially using the [] to remove the 's' from the word to make it look like someone's name, but if you do that it no longer makes sense. So you then have to put the 's' back in AND add a space AND drop the 'e' in order to make it make sense, and by the time you've done that you are no longer using the name 'Threadgoode'. Specifically, "Ninny threads good stories" is a statement, but the name has disappeared, and "Ninny Threadgoode stories" makes no sense. So you've attempted to go for a happy medium and ended up nowhere, IMO.

Don't know anything about this movie.

Haven't seen the film, but is this one intelligible without your explanation?

If I saw the review in the bubble, I'd assume you meant LOTR:FOTR which makes it generic I think.

Sorry to be brutal with some of these, but that's what you wanted, I hope?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000