Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

USA

Posted - 25/05/2006 :  18:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, you guys can all jump on me if you don't want to do this. But the Fourum's been kinda dead lately, so I thought I'd start some trouble.

I thought of a new fun way to give and get votes. Every person gets to choose just one film that they have reviews for (Hint: Choose one you have a lot of reviews for). Post a link. Everyone goes through your reviews for that one movie and votes on your reviews for that one movie.

After we've done that, we choose a new movie each.

Want to play?

It's like putting the five reviews at the top for consideration, but based around a movie.

My choice this round is "How The Grinch Stole Christmas."

Here's a link. Not able to do the cool "name it as something else" thing. Sorry.

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=4085

EM :)

Edited by - Montgomery on 25/05/2006 18:35:24

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 25/05/2006 :  19:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Montgomery

Okay, you guys can all jump on me if you don't want to do this. But the Fourum's been kinda dead lately, so I thought I'd start some trouble.

I thought of a new fun way to give and get votes. Every person gets to choose just one film that they have reviews for (Hint: Choose one you have a lot of reviews for). Post a link. Everyone goes through your reviews for that one movie and votes on your reviews for that one movie.

Want to play?

It's like putting the five reviews at the top for consideration, but based around a movie.

Here's a link. Not able to do the cool "name it as something else" thing. Sorry.

Uhm ... isn't this going to disadvantage peeps like me who find it hard enough to get one FWFR approved? I've gone the spread-bet route

Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

USA

Posted - 25/05/2006 :  19:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:
Originally posted by Montgomery

Want to play?

Uhm ... isn't this going to disadvantage peeps like me who find it hard enough to get one FWFR approved? I've gone the spread-bet route

True it's more of a voting giving/getting idea for those with multiple reviews per movie. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Willy Weasel 
"Look left and right."

England

Posted - 25/05/2006 :  19:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not able to do the cool "name it as something else" thing. Sorry.

Me want do fancy HTML trick too Em.

quote:
I've gone the spread-bet route

I literally just came from my old share watching site Baftababe. After losing pots of money I have knocked the hobby on the head. I must have written over a thousand posts on the related BB though and made some good friends there.

Not sure about this game. Still being a relative newbie here I am sticking to the basic task of trying to get reviews accepted. The bar is getting darned high these days. What is the general consensus on so many of the 2002 reviews which would not get through these days? I see so many that I don't wish to put them forward for scrutiny but they are setting the wrong example for newbies like myself.

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  02:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How to Do the "Name it as Something Else" Thing

Step 1: Type the something else that you want to name it as. Example: GHcool's reviews.

Step 2: Highlight the something else and click the "Insert Hyperlink" icon (it looks like a picture of a globe with a big paper clip in the southern hemisphere). It should look like this: [ url]GHcool's reviews[/url].

Step 3: After the first "url," type the equal sign (=) and copy and paste the web address. Put the web address in between quotation marks. It should look like this: [ url="http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=5267&mode=reviewer" ]GHcool's reviews[ /url ].

When you click on "Post New Reply," it should look like this: GHcool's reviews.

Edited by - GHcool on 26/05/2006 02:16:21
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  03:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this idea Monty, I'm in.

Here are my reviews for the Da Vinci Code.

Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  05:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Monty

Always nice to see new ideas.

How about, instead of another 'Vote for me' type game, you make it a competition to find the film with the best reviews. We all nominate a film, look at the reviews on each film (from all reviewers), and then vote in the fourum on which film's reviews we liked best and which little-known gems we uncovered

No need to make it serious or have anonymous voting or anything, just a way to highlight and talk about good reviews

Just a thought
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  05:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

Hey Monty

Always nice to see new ideas.

How about, instead of another 'Vote for me' type game, you make it a competition to find the film with the best reviews. We all nominate a film, look at the reviews on each film (from all reviewers), and then vote in the fourum on which film's reviews we liked best and which little-known gems we uncovered

No need to make it serious or have anonymous voting or anything, just a way to highlight and talk about good reviews

Just a thought

That's also a great idea - but with all the films and reviews here, one wonders how we'd choose.

I liked the one someone came up with about looking at your own top rated review for a particular movie, and then looking at other reviews for that movie that you thought didn't have enough votes or probably should have higher ratings than your own.

Of course, for some reason that ended up with my getting even more votes for my already top rated review. Still, I liked the idea of us promoting other people's gems.

(But if anyone's interested in doing this one, the movie I've got the most reviews for is Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World.)
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  07:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your idea Montgomery.
Here's one of Sean's favourite pages.

Voted on all the 'I had an idea' links above.

Edited by - thefoxboy on 26/05/2006 07:36:44
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  08:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

I like your idea Montgomery.
Here's one of Sean's favourite pages.
You love that movie, don't you? How many times have you watched it?
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  11:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great idea Emonty

will be back later to vote,

here is my entry

Corpse Bride
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Palo Alto, CA

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  13:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll vote for people's stuff, but this idea isn't so much a good fit for me since I'm not a fan of the whole submit-several-reviews-for-one-movie thing myself. It's been a couple months since I've submitted more than two reviews for any movie (and two for any movie only sparingly), and the only reason I ever did it was when it was something like Titanic and I thought well damn, how am I going to get a review approved when there's already 400-something up there, I'd better submit five and hope one of them gets through, oh look, they all got accepted.

Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  13:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, as Chocky has already chosen jokes about Muslims - shame on her - I better counterbalance this bias with:

The Worst Jewish Football Team In The World

Go to Top of Page

Montgomery 
"F**k!"

USA

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  15:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voted for all who posted links above.

Any more takers?

Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"