Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  21:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sludge

Additionally, it could be worth experimenting with getting rid of the requirement to mouse over titles to read the longer ones, and have the titles fully visible. The novelty wore off after the first hundred times I had to do this. It sometimes has the effect (affect?) of having to have a joke explained to you, and also distracts from the FWFR itself as you have to re-register those words in their newly revealed context after mousing over. It adds work for the user rather than giving a "book read" experience. It's kind of like a video game, but you don't get any points.

Yes, that's one of things about the new site that I'm not so keen on. It seems to display quite a small proportion of the title in many cases. I assume (but don't know) that people bother to hover in the F.Y.C.T.H., but I bet they don't when just wandering around the site. Long-standing members might immediately recognize a lot of the F.W.F.R. classics with obscure and/or very long titles, but newer users won't.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  21:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, can we agree that, assuming he's willing to, Sean start round 1,000?
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  22:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

By the way, can we agree that, assuming he's willing to, Sean start round 1,000?

I agree.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  22:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Sean's doing it, then I gotta participate (also because Ian reminded me )

Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  23:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  23:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

I agree.

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  23:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good, I'm glad that (at least some of) my messages have got through. I've had some problems with the messaging system, including it not confirming some of them.

(Anyone who reads this but hasn't heard from me yet, I'm working my way through everyone I recognise as ever being a Fourumite but who hasn't been in the last few F.Y.C.T.H. rounds, so I either haven't got to you yet or it was one of those glitches.)
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  02:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in for No. 1,000.

I just became too busy. I have three young kids and I am a divorced dad. (When I was on here regularly, I was married so I had some more free time).

I found other interests. I still enjoy the site and pop in every once in a while, but doing the voting began to seem like a chore and that was taking up too much time.

Sad to hear there are no newbies coming in to replace the old timers ...
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  04:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon

I am a divorced dad.

I'm sorry to hear that.

The changes in all our lives since we've been on this site highlight how long it's been going. When I first came here seems so recent and so long ago: I'd just done a master's degree and it was a very intense and significant time for me (not really educationally). I can remember using this site, even down to the details of getting my first approvals, in the college postgrad computer room. It was really there that I'd first used the Internet in approximately its modern form: as an undergrad I barely remember using anything other than e-mail and in my first job (for a major magazine publisher!) we didn't even have the Internet on our machines. So many things we take for granted now (Wikipedia, Skype, YouTube, social networking, access to almost any film or programme) were totally unheard of. I've had a few different lives since then and I really think this site may be my most consistent contact, in that there is no friend or relative that I have been in touch with virtually every week for the last decade and more. Don't get me wrong, it's not my most important contact by any means, but looking back it really does feel like a unifying theme. Not having had my own laptop for most of that time, I can visualize so many machines in so many cities that I've used to access it, often specifically so that I could do so.

It's made me feel pretty sad messaging people for this. I wonder if this really is more or less the end.
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  13:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well hello long time no speak, I find it quite ironic that I left this site a number of years ago due to the actions and behaviour of one specific member, then recently I find an email from fwfr in my inbox asking me to come back and stating I was missed or however it was put and signed by that specific member.

I loved most of my time here I met a lot of members I met some in Australia, and London I went to the book meet up and even had some reviews in the book. I have always and still do wish Benj all the very best with this great site. I am not a great fan of the make over the older layout was in my opinion better but hey ho.

This site, for me and I know a few others was damaged and it now appears fatally by the actions of one person their attitude to others behaviour and offensive nature. So it seems really ironic that it is that person who chooses to email and ask me to return.

I sincerely hope that Benj's idea of linking to facebook and possibly twitter revitalise the site and bring in new blood. I hope that the fun remains for the fabulous members this site has like BaftaBabe and the others. However whilst the site still has this one member I am afraid I will not be back, it is a shame that I am denying myself fun and enjoyment to avoid one person but I find that person so offensive that I will not put myself through it again.

I would like to think of my time here fondly, I went on 3 meet ups 1 in London, the book meet up. 1 in Baftababes house and 1 in Australia where I was fortunate enough to meet some amazing people like thefoxboy etc.

To you all I wish all the very best I hope the site lives and facebook works it's magic if possible. If the membership changes I would love to return, I would ask some of the people here who have positive memories of me to email me if that 1 person leaves until then, sadly for me it is bye bye

Josh the retired cat

as a small aside the original Josh the cat passed away 18 months ago so my username is now a little upsetting for me anyway.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  19:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Josh the cat

Wonderful to hear from you ... tried sending eMail but old only have old address and it bounced. So have sent message from fwfr pm. Hope you get it!

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  20:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

Good, I'm glad that (at least some of) my messages have got through. I've had some problems with the messaging system, including it not confirming some of them.

Your message was in my fwfr messages queue three times, but only sent to my email address once. So yep, there was a glitch of some sort.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  21:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Josh the cat

well hello long time no speak, I find it quite ironic that I left this site a number of years ago due to the actions and behaviour of one specific member, then recently I find an email from fwfr in my inbox asking me to come back and stating I was missed or however it was put and signed by that specific member.

I loved most of my time here I met a lot of members I met some in Australia, and London I went to the book meet up and even had some reviews in the book. I have always and still do wish Benj all the very best with this great site. I am not a great fan of the make over the older layout was in my opinion better but hey ho.

This site, for me and I know a few others was damaged and it now appears fatally by the actions of one person their attitude to others behaviour and offensive nature. So it seems really ironic that it is that person who chooses to email and ask me to return.

I sincerely hope that Benj's idea of linking to facebook and possibly twitter revitalise the site and bring in new blood. I hope that the fun remains for the fabulous members this site has like BaftaBabe and the others. However whilst the site still has this one member I am afraid I will not be back, it is a shame that I am denying myself fun and enjoyment to avoid one person but I find that person so offensive that I will not put myself through it again.

I would like to think of my time here fondly, I went on 3 meet ups 1 in London, the book meet up. 1 in Baftababes house and 1 in Australia where I was fortunate enough to meet some amazing people like thefoxboy etc.

To you all I wish all the very best I hope the site lives and facebook works it's magic if possible. If the membership changes I would love to return, I would ask some of the people here who have positive memories of me to email me if that 1 person leaves until then, sadly for me it is bye bye

Josh the retired cat

as a small aside the original Josh the cat passed away 18 months ago so my username is now a little upsetting for me anyway.

How odd to be so bitter about being included.
Go to Top of Page

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

United Kingdom

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  23:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen, much appreciated, though not cheery reading. You are basically underlining my own thoughts, something to do with the law of entropy. It comes to all things.

Oddly enough I partly disagree with the reason for the withering. I think it is entirely possible to continue to mint good, if not great, reviews because the complexities and wonders of the English language are practically infinite, and there is a steady and increasing stream of new films, some future classics, every week, month and year. One example off the top of my head: a review like "Icy Dead People" couldn't have existed before "The Sixth Sense" coined the catchphrase to riff on. That will happen again in time to come, a lot. "The Great S Cape" and "This is Spaniel Tap" are simply riffing on other film titles. That isn't hard to conceive of. Is it really true that all the great reviews have been written, or has the individual and collective craving to find it or effort to make it dwindled? The problem now is that so few people read the reviews that are being written, or care to vote on them, that they will remain, by comparison, anonymous.

I personally attempt to review every film I watch, and I take enough care to always make it a word play of some kind - I don't think I have a single straight "plot description" in my whole 3300-odd output, although there may be some overlap as I forget some of my reviews along the way. Here's an idea - one that hasn't appeared on the site before, and for a classic movie... can I offer my review for "Hell in the Pacific", approved this month?

I also don't believe the Top 500 is anything like the zenith of the creative work of the FWFR community - they happened to be the best reviews that hit that golden time when votes were applied liberally and healthily. Once they were established (and prominently displayed) they generated their own heat and remained unassailable. Most of the top 10, excluding your fine offering MGuyX naturally, if we are honest are actually pretty standard reviews. "Pretty Shitty Gang Bang" for "Eyes Wide Shut" is nice but no classic work of word play, but has nigh on 200 votes, and is the fifth "best" review on the site. We can't still do better? I beg to differ.

A common offered solution is to encourage new reviews to write and also to get involved with the fourum. Big question is how when even the long time users are rather despondent and dispirited....

Of all the views expressed in this thread, these are the ones closest to mine. My wife insists that I'm unreasonably optimistic (generally, I mean, not necessarily about this), but I agree that with new films coming out all the time we ought to be able to continue to create gems. Somehow we need to attract more users, ideally people with more wit than wisdom. Now if that Jonathan Ross has a bit of time on his hands...
Go to Top of Page

Improper Username 
"inappropriately amused"

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  03:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have placed my remarks about Facebook's tenth anniversary under this topic. Facebook has caused the death of many forums, I think.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000